"I'll hae nae hauf-way hoose but aye be whaur extremes meet..." Hugh McDiarmid

Friday 15 March 2013

home alone

so my housemates are away on holiday for a week or two, and I've got the place to myself. what am I doing, I hear you ask?

baking.

yes, you heard me. I'm desperately trying to master baking bread in a loaf tin. after some time with the bread maker, I got pretty good at it. sadly yesterday, I blew it up. it exploded while it was trying to make me a wholemeal loaf for breakfast. it soldiered on through the whole program, but the end result is now in the bin. rip bread maker :( also, we don't have a bread maker like that on board.

so, today I tried to make dough and then turn that into bread. it's clearly magic. black magic. I've watched videos online, I've read bread making for dummies...I just need to get a job lot of cheap flour to master the dough first I think...

however, I have made veggie bolognese and homemade apple crumble. I am about to make a dairy-free banana and walnut loaf, and some almond milk. it's like domestic bliss over here in the middle east today. and tomorrow I am making the lovely clĂ­ona (one of my pr team from work) a veggie thai red curry with tofu. and there is still some crumble left :)

soya custard by the way, needs sugar. that is all I am saying...

on the pr front by the way, last week I was interviewed for the muscat daily and Y magazine. I will post links when the articles go out :) kate from Y magazine couldn't quite believe that I hadn't really publicised myself or the race - she spent a lot of the interview (almost two hours!) with her head in her hands - and is passing on her information to a mate of hers who works on a paper in glasgow.

training wise, I am doing 3 crossfit sessions in a row this week. ben reckons this is good for conditioning. I reckon it's good for not getting a lie-in... I am also back to swimfit at the intercon on a sunday night. I used to go to this every week if there wasn't a show on, then sarah left and I stopped. ben doesn't think swimming is training - presumably because I don't have to swim with a concrete ball - but I am going anyway. the al-fahal island swim is in two months and I've not trained for it. again.

and I need to get back to running. it's the last winter series next week and I'd really like to not be last!

two and a half months to go, then I'm home!!! then I need to start thinking about the last bits'n'bobs of stuff I need to organise to be able to sail round the world for a year :D

is it may yet..?

2 comments:

  1. I totally recommend getting some kind of book that explains what going on with bread making rather than just following steps.

    I'm a big fan of the River Cottage bread book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bread-River-Cottage-Handbook-No/dp/074759533X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363368005&sr=8-1

    and Dough is good as well http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dough-Richard-Bertinet/dp/1856267628/ref=pd_sim_b_10



    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks chris, I'll check the book shop here in muscat and see if either of them are available. otherwise it'll be posted to one of my housemates to bring back ;)

    ReplyDelete